Saul, John–(1819-1897)–Washington, DC–Saul
was born in Ireland at Carey’s Wood on December 25, 1819. He went
with his parents to East Cowes Castle in 1836 and assisted his father in
the gardens until 1841. In 1843 he went to work at Durdham Down Nurseries
and after a year became the manager of the nurseries. In February
1851 he left for America. His brother James met him in Philadelphia,
and then they went to Newburgh, New York where his brother worked for A.
J. Downing. A. Saul and James Saul were affiliated with the Downing
Nursery in Newburg, New York. John came to Washington on May 5, 1851
to take charge of the improvement of “Public Grounds” which included The
Mall, Smithsonian Grounds, the Capitol and the White House. He remained
with that position until 1853. He began his seed business in
1852. He laid out ‘Harewood’, the country residence of W. W. Corcoran
that later became the “Soldiers’Home.” In May 1854, he purchased
“Maple Grove Farm,” eighty acres, on Seventh Street Road to use as a nursery.
In 1872, his growing business necessitated purchasing more land, a farm
at Brightwood. He published eight catalogs, offering fruits, evergreens,
ornamental trees, shrubs, roses and greenhouse plants. Saul was also
a regular contributor to The Horticulturist, beginning in 1851.
He was the District correspondent for Fruits and Fruit Trees of America.
He was a member of the American Pomological Society and the Society of
American Florists. Saul eventually had twenty greenhouses, and during
the busy season employed fifty men. He died at his nursery on May
1966; Plants; Bailey;