identify common and uncommon measurements and build conversion
- Identify and use correctly various common terms of measurement
- Sort the measurement terms into categories
- Identify some uncommon terms of measurement
- Construct conversion tables for both common and uncommon
terms of measurement.
- Relate measurement to that which is very small and that
which is very large, e.g., atomic particles and astronomical
Area or Standard:
access or dictionaries containing measurement tables
tools and instruments
Interactive units converter
common and uncommon conversions examples
1 inch = 6 picas = 72 points (printing terms)
1 meter = 3.281 feet
1 furlong = 660 feet
1 league = 3 miles
1 Astronomical Unit (AU) = 149,597,870.691 kilometers
2 stone = 28 pounds
1 pound = 2213 carats
1 gram = 0.03215 ounces
1 long ton = 1016 kilograms
1 dram = 0.1371 ounces
1 liter = 1.057 quarts
1 barrel = 42 gallons (petroleum)
1 bushel = 32 quarts (dry)
1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons
1 urn = 2.964 gallons
1 kph = 0.6214 mph
1 knot (sea mile per hour) = 1.852 kph
1 century = 876600 hours
1 kelvin = -457.9 degrees Fahrenheit
1 exabyte = 1074000000 gigabytes
use dictionaries and web sites to research various terms
2. Students classify terms into their uses, i.e., measure
distance, weight, temperature, etc.
3. Students classify terms into functional or vocations
uses, i.e., pharmacists, cooks, computer scientists, astronomers.
4. Students construct table of unusual conversions and measurements.
Some interactive measurement conversion games by AAA Math.