Search form

Blog Icon Facebook Icon Twitter Icon Tumblr Icon Instagram Icon Flickr Icon YouTube Icon RSS Icon Email Icon
"By Aeroplane to Pygmyland" Accounts of the 1926 Smithsonian-Dutch Expedition to New Guinea

Interpretive Essays

Browse Photos and Film

Expedition Source Material

About this Project

browse photos and film

Expedition Photograph and Film Collection

 


~ enlarge ~

Location Subject:
Motor Camp
Filename:
Y020gn
Captions [about captions]
C1:
N/A
C2:
Motor camp; Canoe with carved prow ornament; is this Sebiri?
C3:
Carved prow of a small Dyak canoe. At Motor Camp on the Rouffaer River the entire site of the camp was frequently inundated for considerable periods of time. In order to get about the camp from one house to another, small canoes of this sort were built by the Dyaks.
C4:
N/A
C5:
N/A
Quote from Stirling Journal:
The Dyaks launched a new small canoe this morning with an elaborately carved head on either end… (Aug 9)


CreditsPermissionsMore Expeditions & Voyages